Thursday, July 1, 2010

Some Thoughts (as found in my journal)

I have been thinking a lot about God lately and my relationship with Him. Actually, this is a lie. I have been bombarded with truths about God and His role in my life. I have been attempting to suppress His voice for reasons I do not fully understand. It all started June 20th, Father's Day, when Pastor Bob gave a sermon on the following: "If I could go to heaven and be with everyone I love and it be absolutely perfect But Jesus wasn't there, would I still want to go?" This question hit me and got me thinking a lot. I think I would say no to going to heaven if this were the case. But I have my days (or years) of not loving God as I should and I think I have figured out why. I just finished reading A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller. In the book, Miller discusses the concept of story and how it translates into a life. One point he makes which I found extremely profound was how human lives are not like stories in that we do not have climaxes, or moments that solve all our problems. I often think that relationships, possessions, and even my relationship with God will be like a climax in which once this one thing comes into my life, my problems will disappear. Once I realize this is a lie, I can be free to love people more fully, get more out of my stuff or let it go, and desire to spend more time making a better story with my creator leading the way, knowing that none of these things remove the problems of my life.

Once I get to a place, I do not remember the journey most of the time. This is why I have to set up alters....not because God likes seeing piles of rocks but to remind myself of God's faithfulness. It is like we were discussing in Sunday School two weeks ago: Samuel and the Israelites set up an alter to remember God's faithfulness against their enemy, the Philistines.

God prayed for us that the evil one would not triumph over us...not that we would have perfect, problem free lives.

Miller brings up a point that I learned at STP: God takes delight in us. Miller compares it to his dog Lucy. He loves watching his dog play in the creek and he takes pleasure in her pleasure. It is the same with God. He delights in us playing and discovering life. God wants us to enjoy life and remain faithful to Him. They go hand in hand, I am learning, in that really getting the most out of life comes from a relationship with God. This is an exciting process and I am eager, and scared, of what awaits around the corner.


2 comments:

  1. So I just had a thoughtful (or so I thought, at least) reply written out, but then Blogger had an error and erased my message... I don't feel like reconstructing it, so I'll just say that I did indeed read your message and enjoyed it and thank you for the stimulating thoughts.

    - Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it seems that my problems have disappeared is right before the big one is about to come. I think it is Satan's way of getting us content/comfortable and to let our guard down Ephesians 6:10-13 (Genesis 4:7)
    http://nasb.scripturetext.com/ephesians/6.htm

    I recall recent lethargy and shell shock at the frontline of battle in my walk... Now thinking of David's sin which bloomed with Bathsheba yet was growing long beforehand. (external resulting from an internal ailment)

    Yes, an exciting process as the winds (trials) come and the trunk (faith) strengthens.
    James 1:2-9,12-13
    http://nasb.scripturetext.com/james/1-1.htm

    Your candor and honesty with us all is admired. May His staff bring comfort amidst the struggle.

    -Jacob

    ReplyDelete