Monday, April 26, 2010

Why Do I Think This?

Why/Where =>Why do I think I am not good enough to ever be loved? Where is this idea coming from?
I see boys that I have had crushes on dating other girls and this makes me feel like "Hey?! Why was I not good enough?" I do not even have feelings for these guys any more. Why I am I so upset then? I did not get the Peer Mentor for Learning Alliance and when I looked at the list I thought "Hey?! I did better than some of them! Why did they get picked? Did I do something wrong?" When Kemper is too busy to hang out I feel like he doesn't care for me at all. I see my friends hanging out without me and I feel left out and unwanted. I see others getting better grades and I think that I am dumb. I put my hope and trust in the actions of people. When they don't fulfill my needs, I am hurt and feel like giving up. I get joy from them and when they let me down, I stumble. When I am not doing better than everyone around me, I feel like there is something wrong with me. I do not find my rest in Christ. Instead I try to rest on a stormy ocean. I am led by my feelings and my desire for attention. I crave love from the opposite sex more than from God. I say "God, I know that you are my husband but I want another." I wallow in my pitty for myself because I know my thoughts are wrong and my actions show my lack of faith that God will provide.
What does God have to say about this?
The lies:
  1. I am not good enough for the attention of others
  2. There is something wrong with me that makes me undesirable
  3. My friend's don't care about me
  4. I am stupid and incapable of pursuing my passion
  5. All I need to be happy is a boyfriend/husband
  6. I am a failure and God hates me
The Truth:
  1. I am good enough for the attention of others, but God does not want that for me [A case of Open and Closed doors]. He desires my attention and until that happens, He will not allow me to pursue the destructive desires of my heart. My heart is divided. (Jeremiah 29:11)
  2. (Psalm 139:13-16) God does not make trash but He made me in His image. I am His workmanship (Ephesians 2:8-10) and He created me with a purpose.
  3. My friends do care! This is another open/closed door case where God wants my time. He does not want the leftovers of my day. They are figuring their priorities too and I also keep things from them.
  4. God has formed me for my passion and gives me the capability to perform in my classes. I am not intelligent on my own, but God gives me this capacity. When this comes up: "Are you questioning God's intelligence?"
  5. All I need is an unchanging foundation and I associate this with a significant other. God is the only unchanging one.
  6. I am a failure when I do not let God lead. But because of Christ's sacrifice, I am blameless in His sight and He loves me. I am an heir in His kingdom.
Any verses you may have, please do not hesitate to pass them on!

2 comments:

  1. Athena, way to go countering the lies with TRUTH!! here's some verses i thought of:
    in regards to your truth #4 i thought of Isaiah 40, especially vs. 12-14. and also Is. 42:16. God has a great plan for you, and will lead you to it!
    With #6, God does not hate you. Is. 43:1-4. God has called you by name, you are His! you are precious and honored, and He loves you! Also Zephaniah 3:17.
    Oh, and for #5, at WOW yesterday Kathy gave this verse: Psalm 84:11. If a boyfriend is something that is good for you, by first walking blamelessly with Him, He will give it to you eventually! We just have to trust Him in this time of waiting.
    p.s. let's hang out soon. i love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Athena, dear one, I love you and am praying for you. I'm glad to see you are battling the lies, keep claiming His truth!

    ReplyDelete